~Mystical Lodge~
Hello to you! :hello:

Welcome to Mystical Lodge...
We are a friendly forum community discussing the paranormal, mystical, and spiritual.

Everyone is welcome at Mystical Lodge, no matter what path you follow.
We have many different topics, and discussions.. and we are adding more every day. We also offer a free chatbox for our registered members to enjoy.

(Guests only have access to small portions of the forum, and can't comment on posts, or visit the chatbox.)

To have FULL access to everything Mystical Lodge has to offer... please register... (it's FREE.)

We hope to see you soon, and thank you for stopping by! Very Happy
Blessings..
~ From the Mystical Lodge staff ~

A friendly forum community with many topics and discussions about the paranormal, mystical, and spiritual.. We offer a chatbox for our registered members, and an environment that feels like 'home'.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Contact UsContact Us  Log inLog in  
Photobucket
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posting users this week
Latest topics
Tarot Reader
Photobucket
Orbs
Photobucket
Chakras
Photobucket
Meditation
Photobucket
Unicorn
Photobucket

Share | 

New Species of Sea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Storm Silverhair

PostSubject: New Species of Sea   Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:41 pm

New Species of Sea Worm Named After Star Wars' Yoda
10/12/2012

Science-100812-001-617x416
Photo: University of Aberdeen

It doesn't really come from a galaxy far, far away, though according to the scientists who discovered it, it does share a striking resemblance to a certain loveable Star Wars character. Meet the Yoda worm, one of three new species of deep-sea acorn worms recently discovered by scientists who were operating a remotely-controlled submersible along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, between Iceland and the Azores.

The worm's official name is actually Yoda purpurata, which technically means "Purple Yoda." The creature's purplish lips, which flop about on each side of its head, reminded the researchers of the Jedi master. The animal is described in the September issue of the journal Invertebrate Biology.

Researchers are particularly interested in acorn worms like the Yoda worm because they represent a close evolutionary link between vertebrates and invertebrates. (You might say that the 'evolutionary force' is strong with these ones).

"There is much interest in acorn worms from the point of view of understanding the early evolution of the vertebrates. Whilst they are not strictly a missing link in our own evolution, they give an insight into what the lifestyle of our remote ancestors might have been like," said Professor Monty Priede, from the University of Aberdeen, to the Guardian.

The worms live about a mile and a half deep under the ocean, on the seafloor, where they leave spiral traces of poo which resemble crop circles. These strange 'spirals' were a complete mystery to science until recently, when scientists were surprised to observe them being made by the squiggly movements of these deep sea worms.

Interestingly enough, the Yoda worm is just one of a long list of strange creatures to be named after celebrities, characters or politicians. For instance, a horsefly with a particularly spectacular backside was recently named after Beyoncé, a fish parasite has been named in honor of Jamaican singer-songwriter Bob Marley, and several slime molds have been named after prominent Republicans George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld.

By Bryan Nelson

Back to top Go down
Faerielass
Administrator /co-founder /forum topics researcher

PostSubject: Re: New Species of Sea   Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Thank you for posting the article , very interesting , to me it resembles the Sea Horse , the Ocean holds many undiscovered lifeforms I would say ...

Back to top Go down
http://mysticallodge.forumotions.net
Storm Silverhair

PostSubject: Re: New Species of Sea   Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:17 pm

It reminds me of a Lily flower. Quite beautiful. I found this article rather funny. Some of the phrases where just humorous to me I guess. Lol

Back to top Go down
Faerielass

PostSubject: Re: New Species of Sea   Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Everybody sees something different Smile

Back to top Go down
Storm Silverhair

PostSubject: Re: New Species of Sea   Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:36 pm

That's what I love about creatures, plants, and objects, with obscure shapes. Everyone sees something different, and it's always interesting to hear what others see versus what I see Smile

Back to top Go down
Faerielass

PostSubject: Re: New Species of Sea   Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:51 pm

It's all about perception , just proves one see's what they mould into their own individual realities , eg - You could look at a tiled floor and see just that , a tiled floor , I on the other hand could see images jumping out at me , You could look at the clouds and see just The Clouds , I could see many things , getting to my point , each reality is unique to the individual living it ...... christmasbigsmile

Back to top Go down
Storm Silverhair

PostSubject: Re: New Species of Sea   Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Most definitely. When I look at the tiled wall in my sisters bathroom at her apartment, I often times see a mermaid in the abstract gray and white pattern. In the floor tiles of my bathroom here, I often see an angry face. I almost always see some sort of face or animal in the objects around me. If I look hard enough I'll be able to find something in almost anything.

I remember when I used to get so frustrated with people for not seeing what I was seeing, even when I couldn't point it out any more clearly. Now it doesn't bother me, because I know it's my perspective that allows me to see it such a way, and I'm not guaranteed that others will see it the same way as well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Species of Sea   

Back to top Go down

New Species of Sea
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~Mystical Lodge~ :: Mystical Creatures & Other Beings :: Unexplained Creatures-
Jump to: